How to instal s3fs-fuse on CentOS 6.8?
In case you have CentOS 6.8 server (or DigitalOcean droplet/vps) and you want to install s3fs-fuse the proposed way you’ll run into a problem: the s3fs-fuse requires fuse library version 2.8.4 or higher, but your yum install fuse fuse-devel will install you fuse 2.8.3. If you are running CentOS 7 you won’t have this problem at all, since by default, yum will install fuse 2.9.2.
To fix this problem you need to remove the fuse and install it manually.
1. Remove fuse installed by yum
yum remove fuse fuse* fuse-devel
2. Install some dependencies (for both fuse and s3fs-fuse)
yum install automake gcc-c++ git libcurl-devel libxml2-devel make openssl-devel
3. Download and install latest fuse library (version 2.9.7)
cd /usr/local/src wget https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/releases/download/fuse-2.9.7/fuse-2.9.7.tar.gz tar -xzvf fuse-2.9.7.tar.gz rm -f fuse-2.9.7.tar.gz mv fuse-2.9.7 fuse cd fuse/ ./configure --prefix=/usr make make install export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/ ldconfig
4. Test that fuse is installed (should return “2.9.7″)
pkg-config --modversion fuse
5. Install the s3fs-fuse (using the default instructions from github)
git clone https://github.com/s3fs-fuse/s3fs-fuse.git cd s3fs-fuse ./autogen.sh ./configure make sudo make install
6. If there were no errors along the way, this should return the s3fs-fuse version (currently 1.80)
Hopefully, this will help you successfully install s3fs-fuse on your system. For details on how to use it please refer to documentation at the github page. Please do not hesitate to leave your comments below! Thank you.