Whats Midnight Commander?
Midnight Commander is Shell application (visual file manager) for SSH like Norton Commander, that older geeks may remember from the time of DOS, or like Total Commander, the most advanced Shell application today.
Why do I need Midnight Commander?
Midnight Commander will help you move more easily trough server files/folders, edit config files, copy/move/delete files/folders/whole directory trees, pack and unpack archives, search for files, run commands in subshell… You can also use MC to connect to other server’s FTP and copy files from/to other servers. (can be useful when migrating from one server to another)
How to install Midnight Commander?
If you have yum installed on server all you need to do is execute one command and it will install Midnight Commander and all it’s dependencies
yum install mc
If you don’t have yum on server – you’ll have to download it and compile it by hand.
tar -zxvf mc-4.6.1.tar.gz.tar
How to start Midnight Commander?
Simply enter mc and press enter in SSH
mc (and press Enter)
and you should see it running and looking like on the picture below.
Continue Reading →
If you (like me) hate ads and malicious sites there is a simple solution for all your problems. While most plugins just hide displaying of ads, while they are being requested and and loaded into your browser or blocks ads only in one browser, this hack totally blocks ads from even loading on whole computer. For this sample I’ve used Google AdSense text and picture ads and Yahoo ads but you can use any ad network. It’s good idea to block ads on your computer when you work a lot on your website so you cant make any accidental clicks since clicking on ads on your own site can get your account closed and get you accused of click fraud.
The whole process is easy as one, two, three!
1. Before you go you will need text editor. Notepad is fine but if you’re Geek pro you should use Notepad++. Start your text editor. If you are on Windows 7 or Vista start program as Administrator (Right click on editor icon and select “Run as Administrator”).
2. Now locate “hosts” file. (File has no extension only filename “hosts”).You can locate it at
– Windows 9x, ME at C:\WINDOWS
– Windows NT (and some 2K) at C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
– Windows 2K, XP, 2003, Vista, 7 at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
3. Add following lines to the bottom of the file
Go to the first blank line at the bottom of the file and copy/paste these few lines or write your own. Make sure you leave no blank lines before this entry. That’s it. Just save the file and test it out. Some systems might require reboot. If you’ve followed the instructions carefully you should never see Google AdSense ads again, and this will work under all browsers and on all accounts on computer.
How does this stuff works? Well, instead of getting ads form where they are located (eg. Google servers), the ads are requested from 127.0.0.1 (localhost) your computer and since you don’t have those – it displays nothing. It is perfectly safe to use.
This way you can also easily block malicious sites, annoying ads or ad networks, specific sites from your kids or block Facebook access. I have found two sites that have full databases of harmful sites and you can just copy/paste their hosts file for maximum protection: http://www.hosts-file.net and http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and if you’re really geekish you can download Hostess, a specialized host file editor.
Hello fellow geeks or geek wannabes 🙂
This is post number one and according to geek tradition it simply must start with standard
Okay, now once we got that out of the way (and are now for sure that it’s working), I want to discuss what is this blog all about. Well, I’m self thought PHP/MySQL developer and Linux System administrator. Except that I do fairly good with lots of other coding tools (like Java, Visaul Basic…), but I really like web developmental the most and this is why I’m going to write mostly about that. I have split the blog in few areas:
- Just Sayin’ – in here I’ll post about various stuff that come up on my mind and that don’t fit in any other category
- Server Administration – in here I’ll try to write tutorials, guides and tips that can be useful to any admin (beginner or expert)
- WordPress – is one of my favorite web development tools. It’s easy to use and customize and I love working with it, so I’ll devote a whole category just to it.
Make sure you bookmark the site so you can find it later more easily or subscribe to our feed to keep updated. I don’t need to mention that you need to press CTRL+D to add site to bookmarks, right? Your Geek too! Geeks know this kind of stuff!
Thanks for visiting my blog.