If you (like me) hate ads and malicious sites there is a simple solution for all your problems. While most plugins just hide displaying of ads, while they are being requested and and loaded into your browser or blocks ads only in one browser, this hack totally blocks ads from even loading on whole computer. For this sample I’ve used Google AdSense text and picture ads and Yahoo ads but you can use any ad network. It’s good idea to block ads on your computer when you work a lot on your website so you cant make any accidental clicks since clicking on ads on your own site can get your account closed and get you accused of click fraud.
The whole process is easy as one, two, three!
1. Before you go you will need text editor. Notepad is fine but if you’re Geek pro you should use Notepad++. Start your text editor. If you are on Windows 7 or Vista start program as Administrator (Right click on editor icon and select “Run as Administrator”).
2. Now locate “hosts” file. (File has no extension only filename “hosts”).You can locate it at
– Windows 9x, ME at C:\WINDOWS
– Windows NT (and some 2K) at C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
– Windows 2K, XP, 2003, Vista, 7 at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
3. Add following lines to the bottom of the file
127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com 127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net 127.0.0.1 ypn-js.overture.com
Go to the first blank line at the bottom of the file and copy/paste these few lines or write your own. Make sure you leave no blank lines before this entry. That’s it. Just save the file and test it out. Some systems might require reboot. If you’ve followed the instructions carefully you should never see Google AdSense ads again, and this will work under all browsers and on all accounts on computer.
How does this stuff works? Well, instead of getting ads form where they are located (eg. Google servers), the ads are requested from 127.0.0.1 (localhost) your computer and since you don’t have those – it displays nothing. It is perfectly safe to use.
This way you can also easily block malicious sites, annoying ads or ad networks, specific sites from your kids or block Facebook access. I have found two sites that have full databases of harmful sites and you can just copy/paste their hosts file for maximum protection: http://www.hosts-file.net and http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and if you’re really geekish you can download Hostess, a specialized host file editor.
Why not buy me a coffee?